Saturday, October 1, 2011

What's the best school for learning Italian in Italy, if I'm a beginner going for four weeks


What's the best school for learning Italian in Italy, if I'm a beginner going for four weeks?
I'm an American and am prepared to spend the month of June anywhere in Italy, learning basic Italian. I've never taken a class in Italian before. I'm open to living in any city but would probably prefer someplace like Florence, Siena, or Bologna. Rome would also be ok.
Other - Italy - 5 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
i don't know any schools there
2 :
The best place to go is Perugia. I know you might wondering, where the hell is Perugia and why should one study there? Well, there they have the University for Foreigners, probably one of the best schools for a month long program like what you are looking for. Plus, it has a reputation for being good. I studied there myself. Here's the website: http://www.unistrapg.it/english/ Okay, so it was founded by Mussolini during the fascist regime, but the point of its foundation was specifically to teach Italian to foreigners. Plus Perugia is across the valley from Assisi, not very far from Sienna and Florence, about 2 hrs by train from Rome, and a nice scenic laid-back Umbrian town with enough stuff to do and enough people from all over to make friends from all over the world. Also the university puts togather great package deals to visit Venice and other places.
3 :
I agree (I'm Italian myself, and living in Milano), Perugia is probably THE place to go. Plus, while hot during the day (in the summer) it's still ok at night, as it's on a hill.
4 :
I have rated a number of schools and I reckon the best place is the Dante Alighieri school in Mondavio. There are a couple of other great places that I have checked out : http://www.my-italy-piedmont-marche-and-more.com/learn-italian.html You need to be careful though as I first studied Italian in Florence and learnt nothing - huge classes and in a city where everyone spoke English. In Mondavio virtually no one speaks English so you are forced to speak Italian and the school is fantastic. It will definitely remain forever with you as an experience of a lifetime.
5 :
I would go with a school that is part of the International House family. They are a very reputable name in language learning and actually use modern linguistic theory to guide their practice. Find a list at the site below.
Read more discussion :