Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Study abroad as a high school student


Study abroad as a high school student?
I plan on spending a semester of my senior year in a school in Italy. Though, i am not quite sure how to approach this quest of mine. For instance, what program would help me decide which school i could possibly attend? Or financially, how would i come up with the money to pay for it? And please do not say talk to your counselor at school, because this chance is only offered to mainly top students; which i am not. i just need some help X__X
Studying Abroad - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Generally speaking, your school does not offer exchanges. You must apply through an outside organization. The top three are AFS, YFU and Rotary. Rotary is the cheapest, but most competitive. You don't need to be a "top" student, but a solid B average is necessary. You have to show that you can handle the academic work in another county. Once you apply for a program, you need to work with your school on your schedule to make sure you graduate on time. The program finds the school and host family. As to paying for it, some of the programs offer scholarships.
2 :
hi. i'm italian . you should attend an italian school. in italy there are many schools that we call liceo or technical school in italian schook you don't have to choose the subjects as in america you have to study that subjects of the school for example in liceo classico you have to study classics as greek , latin, maths, italian, philosophy maths ecttt if you want ask me something you'll contact me
3 :
Hi, I'm Italian and I'm trying to plan the same thing for the US, and I guess you're American. I'd like to spend my 4th High School year in the United States, and in order to do that I've asked my English teacher, who just gave me some sheets about AFS-Inercultura, an organization which is concerned about these programs. After some reading and some "investigations," I found out that doing programs with one of these organizations does NOT allow you to choose the exact area (the state, in my case) where you can stay, so you can end up in places you wouldn't like to stay. (For example, I'd like to go somewhere either on the East- or on the Westcoast, but with AFS, EF, STS, etc. I can't choose.) You may go to a place up in the mountains, far from everyone and everything, or in a bad place to study in. I can suggest you do what I have done until now. Try going to your local Italian Consulate or to the Embassy in Washington, DC and ask whether it's possible for you to get organized on your own. Then, if you have contacts here, get in touch with them and talk to them about this issue. Ask them to find for you a school and a family that can host you, and only at this point, if you are satisfied with the area, school, family, etc., you can apply for a visa at the Italian Embassy. Remember that in Italy most schools are public and free, so you only have to pay for your books and school stuff (notebooks, pens, etc.). Also, depending on what you are studying now, you ought to choose the school that best fits your subjects. I do not suggest you go to a Liceo Classico or Liceo Scientifico because they're very difficult, and classical subjects (Latin and ancient Greek, especially in Liceo Classico) are fundamental parts of their academic courses. If you want to go to one of these schools anyways, get fluent in spoken and written Italian, because it is the most important subject. I hope I gave you some useful tips. Also, we can get in touch if you want to.
Read more discussion :