Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Does anyone recommend studying abroad in Italy during high school


Does anyone recommend studying abroad in Italy during high school?
If anyone has experiences with that, I'd like to know how you liked it, if it was fun and if you recommend it for foreign exchange. :)
Studying Abroad - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I was lucky enough to spend a summer studying in Italy, but I was already in college then. All I can say, is it was the most amazing 3 months of my life! We were based in a pensione in Florence, but got to travel on the weekends. I was able to visit Rome, Pisa, Lucca, San Giminiano, Bologna and Venice, and each city was incredible. If you like art, history and learning the language, you will absolutely LOVE it!!! Hope you get to go!!!
2 :
Speaking as a former exchange student, though not to Italy, there is nothing I could say to discourage you from doing foreign exchange and everything I can say to encourage you. It will be the most amazing experience you can imagine. The place, however, isn't as important as you might think it is: wherever you go you will have an amazing year. I went to Hungary through the Rotary Youth Exchange, and I have friends who went all over the world, including Italy, and none of them had negative experiences. Go for it. Go to Italy or go somewhere else, but if you think foreign exchange is right for you then do it.
3 :
Studying abroad during high school is different than during college... nevertheless, I would really suggest it for you. I never was able to during my high school career, though, but I did during college. By studying abroad during high school, you will have different experiences than if you went your junior year of college. Those are good experiences, too, but going in high school is different in a good way, since we often see things differently at 17 than at 20 or 21. If your high school grades are in good shape, please go! Make sure you get a program with a host family, since it is THE BEST way to establish yourself, get into the language, and not be so homesick or lost. I would imagine you are interested in learning the language since you want to study in Italy, and would consider a foreign language major in college. Even if you go during high school, you can go for a semester or even a year during college. You could go back to Italy or even another country. If you have the host family experience while in high school, then you will be more ready to live on your own or in student housing in a foreign country. If YOU feel ready to spend a few months in another school, do go!! I have a friend who spent a few months in Belgium during high school, and when I met him freshman year at college, he had better french than many of the senior french majors who hadn't gone abroad in high school (but did in college). Besides, the foreign exchanges can be wonderful for both schools, families and communities. Study abroad in high school is just the start of many, many wonderful experiences. It'll also give you a boost for college admissions and foreign language programs. Good luck!
4 :
yes i think u should u get to see a new place and learn about a different culture
Read more discussion :